Saturday, May 19, 2007

Company B

Well, I was pretty shocked, but Company B made me a job offer! And it was a pretty good one so I think I'm going to take it. I have to say I'm really amazed about how much money you get paid right out of grad school. I guess only if you choose to go into certain professions. But I'm already thinking about ways to spend the money. He he... like on a house near work (buy? rent? probably rent. But I know Chris would prefer a house instead of a condo). Or an iPod shuffle (big spender here).

Work is going amazingly well actually. I made this video of the Capuchin robot on Friday.

If you've ever wondered what I do, here it is: before I came along this robot just sat on the table. It could twitch its arms around but not really do anything too coordinated. Then I came along and wrote code to run it and now it does that video. And it's really climbing too.

Above is the overall setup. That's a pretty steep wall! My advisor and co-advisor (who owns the robot) are both elated. My co-advisor made this crack yesterday after seeing the video: "Now you just need to work on the lighting and film quality." I replied, "Oh, I just made that video with my tiny digital camera!" He started laughing, "That was supposed to be a complement! That there's no way to make the controller better, you just have to improve the video!" Anyway. I'm pretty giddy about the whole thing. Maybe even more than the job offer.

Regardless, I've been having more tension headaches. I wish I understood what caused them. Tension headaches are annoying because you feel like if you were just less tense they would stop. But I'm not sure it works that way.

3 comments:

annie said...

Hooray for the job offer!! Way to go!!

Am I safe in assuming that this means you'll be staying in California? I'm afraid it doesn't look like I'll end up in CA any time soon... DC and Australia are looking like my best bets for postdocing!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the great job offer, T!!
-Dave and Cece

Anonymous said...

If I took the robot to the YMCA, could it beat the kids up the climbing wall?
-Dave Gadda