Now that I have the yarn I have two questions for the knitting community. First, is all fingering weight yarn created equal? I asked a lady at my LYS about getting some Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock yarn because a lot of the patterns in my IK sock book use that yarn and it seems to have a much tighter gauge than most other yarns. She told me that it was just another fingering weight yarn and I just needed to knit on smaller needles to make it work for me. The yarn in this picture says it knits 6-7 stitches per inch on size 1 needles. Could dropping down in needle size really get me to the 9 stitches per inch listed as gauge for Shepherd Sock in my IK book (as, for example, in the Waving Lace Socks pattern)? (I could just try swatching, but I'm never excited about that prospect...)
The second question is, is there some trick to making sure you don't run out of yarn? I really don't want to buy another skein of this pricey yarn and all my patterns are listed as ankle down and I'm not always clear on how to switch them to toe up patterns. I tend to shorten the ankles of socks just to be on the safe side and then I always end up with leftover yarn. Is there some trick that you sock knitters know that I'm not aware of? I do check the yardage on balls of yarn and that the patterns call for, but given that gauge varies so much, how reliable can these yardage estimates be??
In other knitting news, while I try to figure out my sock pattern/yarn quandries I've been knitting on my Telemark Ski Sweater. See how pretty?

10 comments:
My first question is what yarn did you buy for your pal? Very pretty!
the yarn is lovely! Definately swatch, remember your gauge will be different if you knit in the round, so I would swatch that way as well. . . I typically just start the sock. And yes dropping needles izes should get you where you want to be.
Good-luck!
The yarn is Fingering Weight 100% Merino Wool dyed in Pink Posey by Claudia Hand Painted Yarns. Although none of that sounds like the yarn type... the label also says Louet on it, so maybe that's the brand?
When I need to swatch a sock, I cast on and start knitting. If it works, I keep knitting, if it doesn't work, or I'm not getting gauge, or I hate the pattern, then I declare it a swatch (usually with swearing), and rip it out to start again. I know a lot of people knit baby socks for a swatch, but for me that doesn't get accurate gauge, as I knit tighter on tiny things, I don't know why.
By the way, that pink is very pretty, I'm sure your pal will love it.
Pretty yarn!
However, I think there's no way how you can avoid experimenting with needle sizes except you hit the right combination in the first attempt. ;-) I don't swatch for socks, I just start knitting according to the pattern - and rip again if neccessary.
My tip against running out of yarn (if you cannot transfer the pattern into a toe-up version)would be to weigh the remaining skein while you knit along. You can find out how much yarn you need per inch (approx.) and will then know when it's time to turn the heel.
If they come out in different lengths, you can just pretend it was on purpose and really crazy - just as your pal likes it ;-)
The only way I know to not run out of yarn is to divide the yarn into two equal balls (you need a scale) and work toe up. Then if you start to run out just make the cuff shorter or work the ribbing in a contrasting color. If you can't stand toe up socks then divide yarn in two and be prepared to work the toe in a contrasting color. If you think it is likely that you will run out then do the cuff, toe and heel in a contrasting color from the start.
I disagree with the shop owner - there are definitely "thin" and "thick" sock yarns. I find Claudia's Handpainted thin, and knit it with smaller needles. I also find Cherry Tree Hill thin - but for the same sock, I'd go up a needle size with Koigu and Lorna's Laces. I find those slightly thicker.
But it all depends on how you like the sock fabric to be - I like mine dense and spongy. :)
for the running out of yarn thing; if you're knitting something with a definite pattern repeat, get yourself a digital scale and see how much weight of yarn a repeat takes. I always find you can make a pretty good estimate out of that.
Love the yarn!
I haven't knit with the Claudia yet, but I'm pretty sure it is the same base yarn as the Cherry Tree Hill, Koigu and two yarns I have knitted with, Fleece Artist merino & Nature's Palette. It's Louet Sales Gems (Pearl weight). I was worried about running out of yarn on my socks (I usually knit on 72 stitches with a size 2.5mm needle and have a wide ankle and foot), but I didn't. I bought some Claudia on sale to try out. I think all of these are slightly thicker than Lorna's Laces shepard sock or Regia, Opal, etc. The yarn did bloom a lot when washed and stretched as I wore the socks.
Good luck, swatch or start the sock as indicated and check gauge on the sock.
Yes, very pretty sweater indeed. I also share your yarn supply dilemma. I've always wondered how to figure out how much yarn you need and the comments here have been a great help. I'm going to try the weight thing.
I love the yarn you've bought for your pal, such a delicious colour!!
Post a Comment