Sunday, May 27, 2007

Lots of biking

Observant readers may have noticed the miles accumulating in the bar at right. I've been trying to put in 60 or so miles a week (not including commute) as training for my bike ride across Iowa in July. I love love love the new bike. I should get Chris to take a photo of me riding it... the only thing I wish is that the seat were slightly more comfortable. It's mesh supported by metal bars and if I don't have the seat just right or if I ride too long the bars kind of dig into me. Actually, I need to try laying the seat back more to see if that helps.

I've been trying to go on a long ride on the weekend and then a shorter ride mid-week to make the miles. Today I went 47 miles by myself (because Chris had a paper to work on) so I had a lot of time to think about biking. Actually though, mostly what I thought about was how dang long it takes to bike 47 miles. I'm a slow biker so it took me just over 4 hours. I mean, how many things can you stand to do for 4 hours in a row? One nice thing about biking that far is that I can basically eat anything I want. In fact, I've been back on the diet for the last month or so and have been eating a lot more than previous rounds and am still losing weight quite quickly. Funny how exercise works that way.

That ride was really the only thing I had planned for the weekend. I don't know what I'll do tomorrow. I'm bored but I kind of like it.

1 comment:

annie said...

Your bike training sounds great. When I was in marathon training, it was a very similar experience: I could eat whatever I wanted and still felt good- I wasn't weighing myself then, but my clothes always fit better when I'm really in shape! :)

I love listening to the radio and/or recordings of books when I go for long runs (yes, sometimes up to 4 hours!). The BBC here has some great shows on Saturdays, which I have come to know well... they also have a 'Saturday afternoon play' which helps me pass the time if I go for a long run solo. I get so caught up in the story I forget that I am working out. I just enjoy the scenery as I go.