Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Sockapalooza

So I've been entered in this great sock exchange thing online. Someone is going to secretly knit a sock for me while I'm secretly knitting a sock for another person. I'm already a little nervous because the person who I'm knitting for has asked for a "crazy" sock. What does that mean exactly? I just don't know...

Here's some stuff I've been working on recently. First, some socks that I just love. They're a wonderful yarn - wool/silk blend, and the pattern is so beautiful.


Next I'm working on a hat for baby Grant. My sister bought me the stuff to make it and it's my first colorwork (multi color knitting). I thought it would be a good opportunity to learn colorwork before I start on these other crazy sweater projects that I have in the queue. It's a good thing I tried something small first because it's hard stuff. You can't really see in this first picture, but in the very bottom part of the hat the stranding is really uneven and so the texture of the fabric isn't that nice. I improved a lot as the hat goes up though.

This uneven tension is even more obvious on the back side of the hat. Notice the bottom of the hat in this picture where the yarns are all in a snarl. Now, as the hat goes up, notice that the yarn stranded across the back of the hat is kinda evenly spaced. Still not something you want to look at particularly, but definitely an improvement. Stranding problems are especially tough on this hat because the yarn is cotton and therefore doesn't stick to itself at all. Anyway.

Oh, also, about this hat, notice I made my first bobbles! I thought I wouldn't like bobbles, and guess what, I don't! They're annoying to make and make me think of little polyps. But the net effect of the hat is cute. I'm totally going to talk my sister into sewing a lining into this hat. I can't stand to look at all those strings. It'll be more comfortable that way too.

2 comments:

Lana said...

Those socks are beautiful! What pattern did you use?

Teresa said...

They're the Embossed Leaves Socks from Interweave Knits Favorite Socks book. It's a beautiful pattern.